Does speaking more than one language cause DLD? This is a question we often hear from families who speak two or more languages at home.
The short answer is NO. DLD affects people who speak only one language AND people who speak two or more languages.
In fact, being multilingual may actually be beneficial!
In this episode of The Talking DLD Podcast, Emily Hunt, speech pathologist and PhD candidate at Edith Cowan University will talk to us about her work investigating the diagnosis of children with DLD who speak 2 or more languages.
Listen to Ep 04 | DLD and Multilingual Children here.
Resources discussed in the DLD and Multilingual Children Podcast
- Beyond Scores: Using Converging Evidence to Determine Speech and Language Services Eligibility for Dual Language Learners. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 29(3), 1116-1132. Castilla-Earls, A., Bedore, L., Rojas, R., Fabiano-Smith, L., Pruitt-Lord, S., Restrepo, M. A., & Peña, E. (2020).
- Evaluation of speech and language assessment approaches with bilingual children. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 46(6), 613-627. De Lamo White, C., & Jin, L. (2011).
- Dynamic assessment of diverse children: A tutorial. Language Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, 32(4), 212-224. Gutiérrez-Clellen, V. F., & Pena, E. (2001).
- Common Questions by Parents and Caregivers of Bilingual/Multilingual Children and Informed, Evidence-based Answers. Scharff Rethfeldt, W., McNeilly, L., Abutbul-Oz, H., Blumenthal, M, Garcia de Goulart, B., Hunt, E., Laasonen, M.R., Levey, S., Meir, N., Moondamhy, S., Mophosho, M., Salameh, E.-K., Smolander, S., Taiebine, M. Thordardottir, E. (2020).
- Common Questions by Speech and Language Therapists/Speech-Language Pathologists about Bilingual/Multilingual Children and Informed, Evicence-based answers. Scharff Rethfeldt, W., McNeilly, L., Abutbul-Oz, H., Blumenthal, M., Garcia de Goulart, B., Hunt, E., Laasonen, M.R., Levey, S., Meir, N., Moondamhy, S., Mophosho, M., Salameh, E.-K., Smolander, S., Taiebine, M. Thordardottir, E. (2020).
- Dual language development and disorders: A handbook on bilingualism and second language learning (2nd ed.). Genesee, F., Paradis, J. & Crago, M.B. (2004). Brookes Publishing Company.